Wednesday 5 March 2014

Comparative Review: 4U’s rackets BRS-12N/BRS-LHI/NR800 part3/3



III.5/ Back court

In this area of the court you will have the possibility of many shots like drops, smash, clear, drive … It is important for your racket to be able to produce all these shots correctly and multidirectional. For almost all these shots I have no difficulties to perform except to clear with my backhand, I lean to drive or drop straight or crossed.
My smashes are not jumped at the moment but I start to try during my practice time. However they are powerful enough to be consider as dangerous. For the drops, it really depend of the feeling given by the racket during the hit. I have no difficulties to do a defective drop shot and like to slice the shuttle on the right/left side.
Once again, these technical shots can be played from anywhere on the court but are usually played on the back court and so will be tested in this chapter.

                                5.1/ Drops

An important and often shots plays in double, it allows the team to vary the intensity of the rally. I usually try to target the forehand of my adversary or between them if they are on a defensive position.
The power indicator in this shot is not decisive, on the other hand, accuracy and manoeuvrability will be the qualities searched. 

NanoRay 800

Feeling: What a pleasure it is to play drops shots with the NR800 from the back court, the NBG99 string give us a good feeling and control during the hit. No need to over slice and the manoeuvrability encounter early is not felt anymore. This racket was for a long time my favourite before I start to learn some deceptive drop shots. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
☆☆☆☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★★★

BraveSword 12N

Feeling: Another excellent racket for your drop shots. Surprisingly with the BG66 UM, I still have a good feeling, but obviously do not put the tension too far (26lbs max imo). I love to over slice my shots, this give no indication to the adversary of your shot but do not miss the sweet spot once again. I would say a very good racket if your technique is faultless. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
☆☆☆☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★★
★★★★

BraveSword LHI

Feeling: No! What a shame! The racket was until now a pearl. She will do the job but not as accurate as the two other racket tested previously. The backhand drops are easy thanks to the repulsivity but for the rest it not was I am expecting from a racket of this quality. I now used drop shots only on an ultra-offensive position. Do not expect the racket to give you any information during the hit, only your experience will tell you if you have done well. If you want to have a better control, do not string over 24lbs with a repulsive string. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
☆☆☆☆☆
★★★☆☆
★★★★
★★★★
★★★☆☆

Comparison of Drop Shots
Finally, the NR800 has found his public with this shot. You will have no problem to produce good quality shots with a natural swing. Moreover, the racket will immediately tell you if you have succeed to produce a good shot during the hit. For the BRS-12N, the result is not bad, you might need some adjustments due to the string I have selected, but the result will be close the NR800. To finish, the BRS-LHI, I am really disappointed about it, I had so much expectation after all the great shots it can produce, but I have to admit, the drop shot are not great. Of course it is not terrible, but it will require an extra time to handle the racket, and only experience will help you to improve for this shot. 

Abilities for Drop Shots


                               5.2/ Smash

I personally needed a lot of training before being able to have a powerful smash, especially with a 4U racket which has less inertia. I tried to make up for less tension but the repulsion factor in doubles is very important (as a net player) so I still find the concession difficult to make.
For this shot, power and accuracy are the factors we are looking for. Don’t be surprise to see the overall mark affected by some coefficients. 

NanoRay 800

Feeling: I am always surprise by my inability to deploy the power of the NR800, no matter the tension used. This racket ranked “Power” by Yonex is out my reach. The shaft is probably too stiff and even with a tension at 23lbs, I can’t produce a powerful smash. This lack of energy push me to force on my arm and affect my accuracy. I have to give a bad point to this racket on this performance. I haven’t been able to try this racket in 3U which is used a lot in clubs and tournament. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★☆☆☆
★★☆☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★
★★☆☆☆

BraveSword 12N

Feeling: For the BRS-12N the result is better than the NR800 but not exceptional, far from it. The power with a string tension not to high can be deploy but don’t expect a big bang. However, the accuracy is deadly for your adversary, as far as you hit the sweet spot, even if you are late on the shuttle, you will find your target. But don’t miss it or the stability of the racket will be tricky to handle and the power will drop dangerously. A good racket if your technique is good. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★☆☆

BraveSword LHI

Feeling: Ok! This was a surprise for me, you can go ALL IN! This BRS-LHI will give you everything, it is simply the most powerful racket of the three. The balance closer to the head should probably help but the flexibility of the frame is where all the power come from. Once again with the BraveSword, do not miss your sweet spot, the result is less disastrous than the BRS-12N but still problematic. It is less accurate than the BRS-12N but power is what you what first, for a better accuracy pace yourself. And again, a racket ranked “control” by the constructor but also optimal for powerful samsh.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★

Comparison for smashes
And once again, the BRS-LHI is remarkable. It will give you enough power for a 4U racket. Be sure to manage your power for an optimal accuracy, an ideal agreement in double’s game. In second place the choice go to the BRS-12N, with a racket less powerful but accurate enough to put your adversary in a difficult position, be smart and it will be a deadly weapon. Moreover, even in a difficult position for your smash you would be able to deliver a good smash just do not miss the sweet spot or your racket will lose all of its stability. Let’s finish with the NR800, ah! What a disaster in my opinion, I feel like you need the arm of hulk to be able to reach all the power the racket promised you. Even at my level which is intermediate this is not enough. This crucial point made me stop to play with it. I still try it sometimes but it annoyed me so much to have spent so much money in racket that only an elite of players can used that I always switch to another one before the end of the session/game.
I haven’t talked about backhand smash because in my case they are not powerful enough, I am focusing on consistency at the moment more than power.

Abilities for Smashes


                               5.3/ Offensive and Defensive Clear    

For this last technical shot, I regroup the offensive and defensive shot in one chapter because both are technically very similar. Regarding the backhand clear I will not make any distinction between offensive and defensive because my technique is still not good enough.
To realise a good clear, the main characteristics required are: Power, Manoeuvrability and Accuracy combined.

NanoRay 800

Feeling: The NR800 encounter the same problem previously study in the smash section. The shuttle never seem to have enough power. We really need to force on each shots and crossed clear are unpredictable. Defensive shots are the easiest as long as you are not late on your swing. On the backhand I won’t be long, my repeated attempt were always unsuccessful and dangerous for the team.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★☆☆☆
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★☆☆

BraveSword 12N

Feeling: Once again the BRS-12N deliver some very good performance with an excellent accuracy and manoeuvrability. The BraveSword’s head frame is really remarkable for this. For the power, the result is good as long as your body position is correctly located. On the other hand do not expect a nice crossed clear if you are late on the shuttle.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★

BraveSword LHI

Feeling: Finally we will end on a high note with the BRS-LHI. This racket keep all the quality of the BRS-12N which are a good accuracy and manoeuvrability but with an extra power at the end. The flexibility of the racket will be more than helpful for your shots straight or crossed but the most surprisingly was with the backhand shots. For the first time I was able to reach the opponent’s base line on a regular basic. This opened a lot of new strategy in game for us.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★

Comparison for Offensive and Defensive clear
We take the same and start again, the BRS-LHI on the first place with a “perfect” score and an unrivalled power. Only its accuracy struggle to have the same level as the BRS-12N. This last one has also some very good characteristics but lack of power if you are late for your shot, probably due to the stiffness of the frame. Once again, we finish with the NR800, a good racket but not effortless but for a “powerful” racket we have the feeling to have been swindle.

Abilities for Offensive and Defensive Clear


III.6/ Feelings

A quick review on my physical condition after long session (5-7 hours of games + practices) and tournaments. 

                NanoRay 800
I never played this racket in tournament for obvious reason (see chapters above) but this racket sucks all my stamina too quickly. After a series of rally and smashes, I quickly have some pain in my shoulder. The backhand give me some pain in the elbow and exchange of drives/pushes make my forearm too slow to unflex. 

BraveSword 12N
My favourite for long session, it is the best of the three. Admittedly, it is a little bit more difficult to develop all the power but overall I have suffer no pain or injury from it. I usually played with it for dominated matches and practices.

BraveSword LHI
Also a very good racket, I used this racket for the most aggressive games and my mix double. I have no problem to use it in long session but prefer the BRS-12N to push me to my limit and so improve myself. 

IV/ Overall Observations:

In the first time, let’s merge all the data previously obtain for each rackets:

Recap chart of racket performance per phase of play
Phase of play
NR800
BRS-12N
BRS-LHI
Service
Service
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★
Return
★★★☆☆
★★★★
★★★★
Net play
Net shot
& Net lift
★★★★
★★★★
★★★☆☆
Push & Rush
★★★☆☆
★★★★
★★★★★
Overall front court  +  (rank)
★★★☆☆ #3
★★★★#1
★★★★#2
Mid court
Drive & Interception
★★☆☆☆
★★★★
★★★★★
Defence
★★★★
★★★☆☆
★★★★
Overall mid court  +  (rank)
★★★☆☆ #3
★★★★#2
★★★★★ #1
Rear court
Drop
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★☆☆
Smash
★★☆☆☆
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
Offensive & Defensive Clear
★★★☆☆
★★★★
★★★★★
Overall rear court  +  (rank)
★★★☆☆ #3
★★★★#2
★★★★#1
Average and Final rank:
★★★☆☆ #3
★★★★#2
★★★★#1


From this chart, we can clearly identify which racket is adapted for a style of play. Starting with the NR800 which is set back in most of the phase of game, however, it deliver a good feeling for the drops. The main issue is the lack power but can be affected by its weight (4U), my lack of strength and technic. I couldn’t say.

Let’s continue with the BRS-12N, which is the best in term of speed and manoeuvrability. With an average 4 out 5 in the three area of the court, she is the most “all around” racket but also very versatile. Despite an average mark for the smash, I judge this racket as excellent in double for an intermediate/expert player.

To finish with this table, the winner is definitely the BRS-LHI. With the balance close to a head heavy racket and the flexibility felt, it is the best offensive racket of the three. Nevertheless, the drops require a very good technical skill and few hours of practice will be require. For this reason I would recommend this racket for experienced player with repulsive background. A previous experience of the BraveSword frame would also help a lot in your learning process.

From all these observations I was being able to create a profile for each racket with their strength and weakness.
Profile of each rackets
Model
Control
Offensive
Defensive
Speed
BRS-12N
#2
#2
#2
#1
BRS-LHI
#3
#1
#1
#2
NR800
#1
#3
#3
#3

I have also created this chart for an easy reading of the data par abilities. 

Overall Abilities per racket


The assessment is tragic for the NR800, its abilities are overstep by the BraveSwords on the most strategic criteria, even with a good control and stability. The BRS-12N is very good overall with a clear advantage for net play. Even if the two BraveSwords shared the same technologies we can distinguish a control profile for the BRS-12N and a power profile for the BRS-LHI. Both of them having concession to do between power over control. A great choice offer by Victor and the BraveSword range.

I also want to remind you about my notation system and about how subjective it is. I only try to highlight the fault and flaws more than the qualities. I would understand the disagreement from the Yonex users, but I was really surprise and disappointed by the NanoRay. I still have high regards towards Yonex and hope for the best.

V/ Conclusion:

The BraveSword LHI is clearly my favourite and most enjoyable racket I have. I can’t denied the help I have got from the BRS-12N to improve my skills and help me to manage the LHI. Both of them are really great 4U racket and I would strongly recommend them for doubles player who want to improve their game.

We often read/hear about how easy is it to play with flexible racket and how demanding are stiff racket. I would disagree with this observation, the BRS-LHI is a very fast racket but complex to used, especially for the drops. I think the tension of the string is an important factor regarding this observation. As an offensive net double player, I really used the help of the BRS-12N to improve myself before changing for the BRS-LHI.

For the NanoRay I really tried hard to use all the potential described by Yonex. But it was a shame to not being able to masteries this piece of technology.
About the ratio price over quality, the price goes to the BRS-12N, unfortunately, Victor’s price start to line up with the Yonex. This business strategy push to look to other constructor such as APACS, HELEX, .. for my future generation of racket. But for this season (2014-2015) I will stay with Victor these two BraveSword. One for my games again “slow” positioning team (he BRS-12N) and the BRS-LHI to use against a more organise opponent with a more aggressive gameplay.

A quick word about the paint job, which is excellent and solid for the NanoRay. However, the BRS-12 and 12N were very fragile and at the slightest shocks some paint went off. I would say the BRS-LHI has a better paint but has also less play time than the others. 

For the future, I am expecting from the 4U racket a decrease of the concession between power and control. But also an increase of stability and repulsion. I also wish for more badminton player around the world and better image of this amazing game.
Enjoy :)

VI/ Acknowledgment:

I want to thanks Pat and his blog (http://matosbad.blogspot.com/ FR), badminton-web.fr for some technical references, e78 shop for all the racket and good prices, my first club in Oxford Brookes University (Chris and Garry-Boy), the Réunion badminton club of Saint Denis (ABCD) and Rodolphe for his hospitality, the Japanese clubs (Hexodon, Again, Misuho ES, and others), my wife for her support and my dog :P

VII/ Images Gallery:







1 comment: