Wednesday 5 March 2014

Comparative Review: 4U’s rackets BRS-12N/BRS-LHI/NR800 part2/3



III/ Tests & Comparison in double:

As you can read from the title of this chapter, all the tests are based during practices and gameplay in men and mixt double without distinction. Wood floor is mainly and the level of the other player are good to excellent. This factor affect directly on my curve of progression and force me to play at my best. Been in a club, I can also practice for 5 hours every week on a specific topic.
This chapter will be split by game’s phases (service, return, attack …) by rackets before being compare to each other.
Each proprieties of the racket will be rate by a system of 5 marks, look the table below:

Grade system
Mark
☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆
★★☆☆☆
★★★☆☆
★★★★
★★★★★
Description
Terrible
Bad
Average
Good
Very Good
Excellent

Before we start with the gameplay, I want to talk a little bit about the period of adaptation for each racket during their purchases. This section won’t have an comparison because it uniquely depend of the each palyer and his level. 

            III.1/ Period of adaptation

                NanoRay 800
The NR800 being the new generation for the NS8000, I assumed the transition would have been without difficulties. I was from it, at the time I didn’t realise how demanding is this racket, and my level was not prepared for lighter and also harder to bend. It require 3 months to be able to play correctly with it and find the correct timing for every shot.
BraveSword 12N
The BRS-12N 4U arrived just after I broke my old BRS-12 4U (R.I.P.). Since these two rackets share the same proprieties, I also thought it would be fast to handle this racket. WRONG! Victor really improved the aerodynamics of the head for the BraveSword collection. Just for the timing, I needed 2 raging full weeks. Add to this, a new repulsive string (I switched from NBG99 to BG66 UM), the result was a full month of adaptation.
BraveSword LHI
Thanks to the BRS-12N and the Sword head frame, the period of adaptation for the BRS-LHI was quicker than my previous rackets. The BRS-LHI arrived string with VS-850 but I didn’t get the correct feeling. I quickly changed for the BG 66 UM and after everything went very smoothly. It took me finally 2 weeks to overcome this racket.

Let’s FINALY start with the gameplay!

            III.2/ Service & Return

                               2.1/ Service 

My strong point, I can serve all various type of shot on the 4 corners.

NanoRay 800

Feeling: Very good accuracy for the short service (straight or cross). For the long serve, she lacks a little bit of power especially for the crossed shot but still remain precise. I have noted also a small problem of manoeuvrability for the shots with an extra swing (long and taut serve), the racket gain too much inertia so as for consequence to make me losing time for the repositioning.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★☆☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★☆☆

BraveSword 12N

Feeling: I personally think, she is the best of three. Every shots are very smooth and I allow myself to do some dummy moves and keep a perfect control of the shuttle. The head light of the BRS-12N is really convenient so I can be in position for a return very quickly and stay aggressive close to the net.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★

BraveSword LHI

Feeling: I also enjoy to serve with this racket, but its ultra repulsivity is an issue for the short serve. Also, during a game and after some intense rally like drives for example, my long services start to be less accurate and can go out. The repositioning is like the BRS-12N, effective.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★★
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★

Racket’s Comparison for the service
As I said before, the BRS-12N is the winner in the service’s field. On the second place come the BRS-LHI followed by the NR800. I place the BRS-LHI before the NR800 despite the fact she is not excellent for short serve because she has a better manoeuvrability.

Rackets Service Abilities


                               2.2/ Returning service

I always try to stay close at possible to the service line before the exchange start. This allow me to pressure the server, also I keep an eye on my adversary’s racket and the inclination of the shuttle to be prepared for a long short. I position my racket at the level of my shoulder (the handle). I tried to diversify my return but my best shorts are on the backhand of my adversary for the lifts, or a fast drive/push mid court or playing drops on the forehand. I tried to avoid to lift because it can be intercepted by the server or his partner. 

NanoRay 800

Feeling: I have a very good feeling with the NR800 when I need to return a short serve and feel confident enough to play some trick shots. For the taut/drive serve, the racket react nicely to the shock but lack of repulsion, I chose to return with a drop shot or mid court with a good accuracy. Regarding the long serve, the racket allows me some good and precise clear and drops, however if I want to be more offensive with a “mini smash” (power from the wrist only) the racket doesn’t give enough velocity to the shuttle. Same problem with the manoeuvrability, the racket is still a little bit slow to come back in position when I stat to swig too much.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★☆☆

BraveSword 12N

Feeling: The BRS-12N is probably the most versatile racket for the return. Very manoeuvrable on the short serve, its allow you to have a good control for any kind of shot. For the long serve, once again the BRS-12N is still easy to use with enough power to attack. I have only one regrets with the taut/drive serve, on my return the racket lack of stability, probably due to the flexibility of the shaft. We can already start to feel the extremely good aerodynamics of the frame during the attacks and the re-positioning. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★

BraveSword LHI

Feeling: Here you will have to manage one issue: the repulsivity. To return any serve with a drop, you will need an excellent technique at risk of a complete loss of accuracy. Yet the racket is stable as long as you hit the sweet spot. Otherwise, you will be ecstatic from the power this racket deliver to the shuttle. With the same aerodynamic as the BRS-12N the BRS-LHI keep an excellent manoeuvrability.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★★
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★

Comparison for the service’s return
There is no perfect racket, they all have to make some concession on accuracy over power. For the ranking, we have a draw for the first place with the two BraveSwords, with a more versatile racket for the BRS-12N and more power for the BRS-LHI. The NanoRay is unfortunately one step behind, with a good control for the drops but a small lack of power.

Rackets Service’s Return Abilities


III.3/ Net play

The net play is my field of expertise, with a very aggressive style with offensive counter attack (drive/rush/push). My drops are good even if my crossed hair pin could be more consistent but hard to produce with a very repulsive string configuration. 

                                3.1/ Net shot and Net lift

NanoRay 800

Feeling: Good point for the NR800, net shots are really natural to produce and the stability is excellent. I was also surprised by my capacity to return some good crossed hair pin shot, which are usually pretty average. The manoeuvrability stay good but lack of speed for the late shots. Amazingly for my point of view, Yonex classed this racket in his “power” series. Is it because of the string alone (NBG 99) or the specificities of the racket, I wouldn’t say.
For the lift, the NR800 is very precise but lack of power, especially you are late for your shot.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★★

BraveSword 12N

Feeling: For this racket, the net drops and hair pin are very enjoyable like the NR800. But it is expected from a “control/speed” racket. Even with its repulsive string, I have a good feeling during the hit which surprised me a lot especially in comparison with the BRS-LHI. Obviously it is a little bit less accurate than the NR800.
Let’s talk about the net lift and how good is this racket to do the job. The manoeuvrability is so perfect you will always have enough time to catch the shuttle. You may have a loose of stability but the shuttle will have the energy necessary to reach the far end of the court. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★
★★★★☆☆
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★

BraveSword LHI

Feeling: One word for the BRS-LHI: PRACTICES. This is the only solution to overcome the repulsivity of this racket. With my settings, I really had to learn my basis for the net drops. Once you got it, you have a clear advantage even if you are late for your shot.
Regarding the lifts, this will be easy, too easy so you will need to control yourself. The accuracy is also far from perfect when you need to cross your lift.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★★
★★☆☆☆
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★☆☆

Comparison for net shots and lifts
From my point of view, I really prefer to play with the NR800 for all my net drops then switch to the BRS-12N for the most accurate lift. I really think the strings have a major part to do for this shots. Sadly the BRS-LHI does not reach the same level of ability than the two others rackets, even if she share the BraveSword frame with the BRS-12N and have some good capability for the lift. But in my case, and despite the poor result of the BRS-LHI, I really tried hard to overcome its lack of accuracy due to the repulsivity of the strings, and after a lot of practices it paid off.  

Rackets Abilities for Net shots and Lifts


                                               3.2/ Push and Rush

Small talk about the definition of push and rush (also called net kill): The first one being consider as a “drive” but very close to the net. This shot should go slightly downward to the midcourt/rear court of your adversary. The rush is a fast swing parallel and close to the net, it should produce a small smash. These two moves are obviously offensives shots.
Note to remember, pushes can be play from the mid court but are studies in the “Drive and Interception” chapter.

NanoRay 800

Feeling: Let’s review some offensive moves in the front court with the NR800. The result is disturbing, the lack of repulsion is manifest. Even with a very good accuracy and stability, the repulsion factor for push and rush is the most important characteristic for a quick chance of winning the point. The manoeuvrability is good for a few number of exchange but after a series of action I lose my stamina too quickly, for this I blame the racket more than my physical condition. Otherwise, the good stability of the racket is an advantage during the rush and the large sweet spot help as well.  
  
Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★☆☆☆
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★☆☆
★★★☆☆

BraveSword 12N

Feeling: SO close the perfection with the BRS-12N with an outstanding manoeuvrability. You will never be late for the next shot if you have a good technique. For the repulsivity, the racket offer enough power to cause problems for your adversaries. The only fault is during the rush, the stability of the racket can be annoying if you miss your sweet spot, so keep practicing.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★

BraveSword LHI

Feeling: Here we go! A perfect score for this BraveSword. Admittedly, she have the same fault for her stability like the BRS-12N but the repulsion combine with the manoeuvrability give the racket an extraordinary result. I personally consider these shots relatively important in double games, so thank you to the BRS-LHI.

Technical ability
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★

Comparison push and rush shots
For the pushes, I have to put the BRS-LHI on the first place, with an excellent repulsion she outclass the two others even if the BRS-12N is close enough and so get the second position. The NanoRay is good but I expected more for this racket, I could never be sure to finish the rally with this shot.
The rush is an unusual shot, it require a good manoeuvrability and repulsion of the racket. Once again the two BraveSwords are on the top but require a good training on the subject, which is not the case for the NR800. She will allow you to execute this movement more easily at the cost of a powerful shot.

Rackets Abilities for Push and Rush
 
III.4/ Mid-court
 
This area can be tricky for me, I am a huge fan of drives and interceptions, forehand and backhand, straight or crossed but my defence is limited and I usually return my shots straight. I am working on the subject at the moment and improve my skill day by day, but it is still a long way before I would be able to have good counter attack with my defensive moves.

                                4.1/ Drive and Interception   

Before we start the test, I want to remind you about the fact that drive and interception shots can obviously be used outside the middle area of the court. But being generally used in this place, I decide to study them in this chapter.
Once again, beware, the string factor is decisive for these shots, I advise you to refer to the “string and grip” chapter abovementioned.

NanoRay 800

Feeling: Since we discover the lack of repulsivity of this racket in the last chapter, this fault will unfortunately follow the racket along the tests. Even with the BG66 UM at 26lbs I was never satisfied. The racket shock absorption does not redirect the energy into the shuttle but vanish along the frame. Once again, her lack of good manoeuvrability for fast exchanges is an issue. I can believe how fast I am getting tired during my drive’s practice. For the interception, we have the same problem of repulsivity unless you played a drop shot and then it is excellent. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★☆☆☆
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★☆☆
★★☆☆☆

BraveSword 12N

Feeling: At this rate the BRS-12N will be a 4 stars racket. Very good with a good technique, the accuracy is surgical. The power is good but not enough surprise your adversary, so instead used her accuracy to place your adversary in a difficult position. Regarding the interception, she is the queen, not too much repulsion for the drops and enough for a fast push. The racket is fast. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★★

BraveSword LHI

Feeling: Bingo! The BRS-LHI do once again everything you ask and even more. She has all the characteristics of her little sister (BRS-12N) but with an extra punch. For my point of view the best drive’s racket I have to try. For the interception, it is less accurate for the drop shots, but if you stay aggressive on your adversaries this will pay off. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★

Comparison of Drives and Interceptions
I will start with the most common shot, the drive. The BRS-LHI stay my favourite on this area with and excellent power and accuracy. The BRS-12N is close but once again lack of power compare to the BRS-LHI. Both BraveSwords are super-fast and thanks to the frame/weight of the racket. Sadly, far behind is the NR800 with an average result due mainly to its lack of repulsion.
For the interception, the BraveSwords are once again neck and neck with a slight advantage to the BRS-12N who offer more versatile shots. The NR800 will produce some good drops but sometime you need to have more options and keep the pressure on your adversary. 

Rackets Abilities for Drives and Interceptions


                               4.2/ Defense  

Quick definition of short defence (drops) and long (lift), racket is in low position but still head on top, body bend over, ready to receive an attack (usually downward). The return for the long defence should go back to the rear court (baseline) and should go high in order to avoid any interception from the front/mid court. On the contrary, a short defence should put the shuttle just behind the net, it is usually a crossed shot because of the offensive positioning from the adversary.

NanoRay 800

Feeling: I really like this racket for their short crossed return. The NR800 has an excellent accuracy for these shots. It also have a large sweet spot so it is esay to return a fast smash without any difficulties except if you want to crossed a long defence, in this case the repulsion is perfectible. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★
★★★★

BraveSword 12N

Feeling: Such a shame, the BRS-12N was so constant all along the tests, but the flexibility of the shaft is a real issue for the stability of the racket. The racket absorb too much to return the power to the shuttle for the long defence. Regarding the short defence, the racket is good but do not miss your sweet spot once again of the stability will be a problem to no be able to control a precise shot.

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★☆☆
★★★★
★★★☆☆
★★★★★
★★★☆☆

BraveSword LHI

Feeling: For the BRS-LHI the result is almost the opposite of the BRS-12N, for the long defence, the racket will give you all the power you need to put the shuttle wherever you want. Nevertheless, and because of the repulsion, short defence are very tricky and will require a good technique and awareness of the racket. 

Technical ability:
Power
Accuracy
Stability
Manoeuvrability
Overall
★★★★★
★★★☆☆
★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★

Comparison of Short and Long Defence
I would say the NR800 is doing a great job regarding the defence as well as the BRS-LHI, it will be easier with the NR800 but at the end the BRS-LHI will allow you a defence more aggressive and an easy way to return the situation to your advantage.

Abilities to defend



           

No comments:

Post a Comment